- ABOUT US
Lost and Found
During a drought in 1895, the original mill was moved across the North Canadian River using horses, rope, and skids.
Photo by VICTOR HAMBERLIN
Run of the Mill
This well-known grain company provides Oklahoma bakers with quality flour and corn mixes.
By Kayla Mugler
Published March/April 2017
Located just south of Main Street, this long-standing central Oklahoma company celebrates its 111th birthday in April and still is operated by the third- and fourth-generation members of its founder’s family.
J. Lloyd Ford, a flour salesman and candy company manager, bought the mill in 1906. The Fords rebuilt and modernized the mill after a fire burned it to the ground in 1934 and another blaze caused significant damage in 1954. The restructure after the first fire incorporated the twenty-foot-tall by twenty-foot-wide steel Christmas star that still tops the 187-foot elevator.
Today, the plant produces more than one million pounds of food products each day, which are sold in Oklahoma grocery stores as well as throughout Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. Facilities at the plant include a 784,000-pound daily capacity flour mill, a 336,000-pound daily capacity corn mill, and a dry mix plant that specializes in wheat and corn-based baking mixes such as honey bran muffin mix, buttermilk biscuit mix, and pizza crust mix.
What is the name of this elevator, and in what town is it located?
What’s the name of the bridge, and where is it located?
Mail entries with name and address to “Lost and Found”, P.O. Box 1468, Oklahoma City, OK 73101 or email to Leighona.Bernstein@travelok.com. Last issue’s contest featured the Architectural DNA art installation in Oklahoma City.